Wednesday 7 April 2010

Introductory Post

I've run one blog for a long time, of book reviews, but I also want to be able to publish some of my opinions which aren't concerning reading. Hence this new blog. The subject matter of Matters of Opinion and Science will mostly be concerned with IT. I'll also treat it as a personal blog of sorts, so there might well be posts on other topics. I may only post fairly rarely, as I don't tend to hold particularly strong opinions. The opinions expressed are  my own, and are not those of my employer or anyone else.

The title comes from David Hume's Of the Standard of Taste though the context doesn't quite match what I wanted.  I just thought that the phrase sounded like a blog title. The context is:

"The sentiments of men often differ with regard to beauty and deformity of all kinds, even while their general discourse is the same ... In all matters of opinion and science, the case is opposite: The difference among men is there oftener found to lie in generals than in particulars; and to be less in reality than in appearance."

(The picture of David Hume is from Wikimedia Commons, and is listed as public domain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment